February 8, 2007

Accepted

Yesterday marked my one year anniversary for working at the DOE. One year of my life. Wow....anywho...

As I drove home I was thinking about what I would eat and where I left off in my book. When I got out of my car I noticed I was somewhat on the curve. Got in and readjusted. As soon as I turned off my car my phone rang. Digged it out under my winter wear and lo and behold a 202 number. Peace Corps. Knew it right away. "Hi Jacob..I've been reviewing your application and essays and thought you'd be a perfect fit for an earlier program. Would you be interested in changing your availability to an earlier time, say March?"

This is where life is trippy. A few days ago I made the comment that if placement called and asked me to leave earlier I would say yes before I hung up. I asked for more time.

I got a day.

I freaked out. Forgot stuff in my car, somehow lost my phone, dropped stuff. What do you do?! Who do you call? Do I tell my parents right now? Should I say no?

I frantically put stuff down, turned on my computer to find a HINT of where it would be, and called anyone I wanted to talk to about it. One person answered on the first time. Goes to show the moment you need to talk no ones available!

The uber excitement passed a bit when I talked to a roommate and my sister. Then another person. All of them pretty much said "go".

So I'm going.

I'm pretty sure it'll be to Ukraine but I'll get my packet of stuff here soon.

Life comes at you pretty fast...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats man! It has been a long ride and I am glad you finally heard something. Is the nomination for the March program the same as the June program? Keep us updated and again, congratulations!

Jake said...

I'll still be doing Youth Development but just in a different country and a bit earlier than I expected. I feel like I walked into a class that's halfway started.