May 4, 2006

Why I want to join

Why would someone want to say goodbye to their friends and family? Why would they want to give up practically everything they own? Why would they want to go to a far off country? And WHY would they want to do that for 2+ years?!

I can't answer that completely. I mean I'll give it my all but I can't just express it verbally. Maybe my mind hasn't developed enough to fully express it. I don't know if anyone's is.

I like helping people. As idealistic as it sounds (and may sound during my interview...whenever that occurs), I like it. I like opening the door for someone. I like knowing that for even a brief moment their mood changes. They appreciate what you've done and it affects their day. Thats magical. Thats monumental. Just from something so small can I affect another person's life. Imagine what I can do in another country for two years!!! Imagine the lives I can affect.

Yeah I know I won't be able to help the entire world. I won't be able to help an entire nation. But if I can touch someone...anyone...then the entire tour is worth it.

How will I adapt to a new culture? No idea. I just know I want to put all my passion and endurance into it.

How am I with eating a different cuisine? Not too shabby. Okay so I can't STAND spaghetti (had it a lot growing up) and I can't STAND tuna casserole (cheese, peas, and tuna...NO WAY), asparagus (I'll eat it but not a big fan), and coconut. But I find a way to like most things. If its cooked differently I may like it more (i.e.- brussel sprouts).

How will I deal with the stress of it all? I don't know. I honestly have no idea until I get there and I get pushed to the limit. All I know is that I'll try to adapt and change. I'll try to find an outlet that relieves it all. Whether it'll be picking up a new hobby, working out, or writing. I'll find something. I always do.

I don't know if that will be enough during the interview. Maybe I've jinxed it all with creating a blog. But I just needed to see my reasoning. Any comments are welcome.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh Jake, there really is nothing wrong with wanting to help people.

You are definitely one of those people who takes pride in what they do.

You'll be perfect for the role.

Good luck!