May 1, 2006

Deactivation

As of this moment my application has been deactivated. Is that a good or bad thing? What does that really mean?

Well here's the scoop. X, recruiter's name withheld just because, gave me a call about my application and everything. At first he tells me that I need more experience. Something I DEFINITELY did not expect to hear. But eventually that calms down. Because he keeps saying things like "oh well on your application you did some landscaping..thats Agricultural Development...oh and the work you did in your community is Community Development...so I guess you could increase your chances by being able to do both". Which negates the entire "you need more experience". But he told me that if I want to do TEFL I'd have to volunteer 30 hours a month for 3 months to do that. Which I thought the Peace Corps teaches how to teach (or so what I found on their website and volunteer blogs). Kinda makes you wonder.

The focus behind the call was actually to set up an interview. Of which we couldn't do because I didn't send in a student loan form. (Where was that in my packet?!) And there was an issue of me applying online to the CIA about being a counter terrorism analyst (awesome title isn't it?). They never got in touch with me so I didn't care. I just had to send them a letter asking them to remove my name and send a copy to PC. Not a biggie. But until X received my form and the letter he was deactivating my application.

So I decided to fax the form and the letter to PC. Probably within two hours I did all of that. Yet no word from X. I'm guessing I'll get a call tomorrow. But thats a guess.

From what he told me though there was a good chance of me doing Community Development. Apparently there are people coming back within the month so they're looking for replacements. YAY! :-)

I wanted that more than TEFL. No idea where though.

We shall see. Any volunteers to go with me on the trek to Chicago for the interview?

Oh! If anyone knows a place that could use a volunteer to teach English as a foreign language hit me up.

***Edit***- So apparently I screwed up my fax. How can you screw that up? The letter I sent to the CIA didn't have address so they want me to resend it. I have a feeling my paperwork skills and patience will be tested.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Its common for people to apply for intelligence before Peace Corps. I would'nt be overly concerned unless they won't give you that letter. Chicago? I used to live there. I recommend looking up National Peace Corps Association before going. Knowing your congressman, etc. does not hurt either.

Good Luck

RPCV